A yummy star feature from Phoenix Park Farm!
Beetroot! One of the most antioxidant rich vegetables you can get! Bright and bold in colour ranging from golds to deep purples, these root vegetables are popular in many cultures and cuisines and it is probably our most favourite take away from Phoenix Park Farm.
These vibrant veggies, grow from the dirt beneath our feet and are packed with essential minerals, vitamins and compounds that even share medicinal properties! Let’s not forget to mention that the leaves are damn nutritious too, so its no wonder they regularly feature in the CommuniFood fridge!
Here are some benefits of Beetroot, just for a little more motivation to add them to your weekly shopping list!
1. Beetroot aids in keeping blood pressure in check, helping to reduce chances of heart disease.
2. They may contribute to fighting inflammation! We have all heard the turmeric craze, so why not add beats to that mix. Beetroot contain betalains which potentially possess a number of anti-inflammatory properties.
3. Beetroots may improve digestive health! A good dose of fibre is contained in Beets which support healthy gut bacteria.
4. Cleansing Tool! Have you heard of Don Tolman? Beetroot juice is such a powerhouse and when it is combined with a few other ingredients, it becomes an incredible detox elixir. (I’ll post a link below)
5. The antioxidant content and anti-inflammatory nature of Beets have led to an interest in its ability to prevent cancer- but they are still working on concreting enough evidence to support this claim, though we are well on our way!
6. Beets are low in calories, which is an added feature if you are on your way to creating a new healthy lifestyle.
7. THEY TASTE GREAT!
Ways to cook Beetroot?
1. A favourite of ours at CommuniFood is to cut them into wedges and steam them for 10 minutes over a stove top if you can (if you can’t that’s ok)- making sure not to overcook, but just to soften them enough so that it’s a softer bite. Add some Garlic Salt and Oregano and dip it in your favourite style of Hummus!
2. You can also cube them and baked them in the oven for 15-20 minutes with Olive Oil and Honey and add them to your salads for an antioxidant boost (and flavour punch!)
3. Veggie Bake! Like the good old potato bake but swap the White Potato for Beetroot!
4. Juice it! Such a good combination with Apple, Carrot, Ginger and Celery!
5. USE THE LEAVES! The leaves are nutritious and delicious all at the same time. Cut them up and place them in a frying pan or wok, add a little Oyster Sauce, or some Soy and Honey and give them 5-10 minutes and 75% heat! It is a different take on Bok Choy stir fry, but trust me, you’ll never waste any part of the Beetroot again!
To keep Beetroot good in the fridge for as long as possible, trim it down and place it in a bag and try and keep as much air out of it as possible, pop it in the crisper and you should be good! They will soften over time, but we have seen Beetroot last up to 4 weeks in the CommuniFood fridge!
Do yourself a favour and get your hands on some Beetroot. If you can from a local source, or there is no judgement in purchase from your local supermarket. Start small, only takes one drop in the ocean to start a wave! Phoenix Park Farm offers Beetroot (ridiculously good Beets!) that are so good, you can eat them raw, so head out at their next farmers stall and watch this space for their weekend event, where all the goods will be available!
Until next time!
p.s Got some beetroot recipe ideas! Share them with #CommuniFood!
Don Tolman CABALA Juice https://thedontolman.com/free-stuff/don-tolmans-c-a-b-a-l-a-juice-recipe/